Copper Cliff Highlanders 1917 - 1993
See also Places - Buildings of Note - General Office
The Copper Cliff Highlanders Cadet Corp #765 was formed July 30, 1918. Mayor Roy C. Barnes, from the Copper Cliff Boy Scout Troop initiated the corps. The corp was originally sponsored by The International Nickel Company. The regimental colours were presented by Inco in 1937. In 1938 the corps was presented with a new ensign. Scotland's royal standard, the red lion of St. Mark on a field of gold, which flew at Bannockburn. A treasured memento of the corps is a letter from Her Majesty the Queen. acknowledging receipt of one of its monel cap badges, presented to her on her visit with King George to Sudbury in 1939.
A total of 124 former members of the corps enlisted in the Canadian military services in World War II, 34 in the navy, 38 in the army. and 52 in the air force. Three were killed in action, two were reported missing after air operations, and one became a prisoner of war in Germany.
In 1949 the commanding officer by Major H. J. Swain.
In 1958, the regimental colours were given to the group by the Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire.
Capt. G. H. Hervey took over command in 1962.
Old Timer Tales December 1918 "The pipers’ band of the Copper Cliff cadet company, No. 765 was organized under the direction of J. A. Barrett. Talking of those cadets, they held an ‘at home’ after Christmas to present an electric percolator and silver tray to Mr. and Mrs. R. C. Barnes. Lieut G. M. Crossgrove, officer commanding, presented an address."
The pipe band of the Copper Cliff Highlanders Cadet Corps was judged the best cadet band in Canada in 1964. At that time Lieut. Sam Laderoute was the organizer and director of the pipe band (25 pipers and drummers). The band received an official appointment to serve at the month-long national cadet camp at Banff in the summer of 1964. Lt.-Col. S. E. Hunter. commanding officer of the camp, stated, "Their performance, discipline and turnout on every occasion has been of the highest order. We are proud of them as young cadets and musicians. They have it right to be proud of the standard they have strived for and achieved." Band Major Sam Laderoute was the band instructor for almost 50 years.
The Pipe Band won three National Championships and fourteen Provincial Championships. Over 1500 people were taught how to play the pipes, drums and Highland dancing.
In February of 1972, sponsorship changed to Branch 224 of the Royal Canadian Legion.
The Copper Cliff Highlanders were disbanded on January 10, 1993.